This post covers how to upgrade Zerto Virtual Replication 5.0 to 5.0 Update 2 Patch 1. The upgrade consists two phases:
- Upgrade Zerto Virtual Manager (ZVM).
- Upgrade Zerto Virtual Replication Appliance (VRA) on ESXi hosts.
- Upgrade Zeerto Cloud Manager (ZCM)
There are the following recommendation before performing the upgrade:
- Clear the Microsoft Internet Explorer cache of temporary Internet files. Not clearing the cache of temporary files can result in problems when accessing the Zerto Virtual Manager via the vSphere Client console.
- Make sure that all VPGs are in Protecting state and not in a sync state, such as Delta Sync, or an error state, such as Missing Configuration.
To upgrade Zerto Virtual Manager (ZVM) please follow the below steps:
- Run the Zerto Virtual Replication installation executable for your environment. The Zerto Replication Installation Wizard is displayed.
- Select Upgrade and click Next
- Accept License Agreement and click Next
Note: Zerto will perform some validation checks before the Upgrade starts
- Click RUN to continue
Note: A Zerto Virtual Manager can be installed on a site running a different version, as long as both versions are only one version higher or lower than the other. When you have multiple sites, make sure that the version of Zerto Virtual Manager is never more than one version higher or lower than any of the versions running on the paired sites.
To upgrade Zerto Virtual Replication Appliance (VRA) please follow the below steps:
- Log in to the Zerto Virtual Web Console (https://IP_Address:9669/zvm).
- Click the Setup tab and then Upgrade.
- Select VRAs for the upgrade and click Upgrade Selected VRA
The upgrade is completed
To upgrade Zerto Cloud Manager (ZCM) please follow the below steps:
- Run Zerto Cloud Manager Installer.exe
The Zerto Cloud Manager Installation Wizard is displayed.
- Select Upgrade and click Next
Accept License Agreement and click Upgrade
Issue during the Upgrade of VRA’s
Updating a ZVM to Support Zerto-Approved vSphere Releases Prior to a Full ZVR Update causes problems to VRAs
In order to update the list of Zerto-certified ESXi versions, follow these steps:
- Contact Zerto Support to ensure that the ESXi version you want to use is certified by Zerto.
- Navigate to the Zerto Virtual Replication directory on the ZVM – the default is C:Program Files (x86)ZertoZerto Virtual Replication.
- Locate the supported_updates.txt file, and copy it to the desktop for a backup.
- Edit the supported_updates.txt file in the Zerto Virtual Replication directory, and add the necessary string, on a new line in sequence with the other strings, with the following syntax:ESX_<VersionNumberWithoutPeriod> <Update Number>
For example, for vSphere 6.0 Update 3, the string to be added is: ESX_60 3
- Save the file.
- Wait for 5 minutes, and access the Zerto GUI for the site.
- Click the Site Configuration “cog” button > “Advanced Settings” > “Compatibility Matrix”.
- Verify that the new Zerto-certified ESXi version is listed.
As it is shown in this post, the upgrade process is simple and should be also smooth as well… ? The Zerto upgrade guide is available here
Author: Alicia Thompson